Chipping a tooth is a stressful and sometimes painful experience. The location of the tooth and the severity of the damage impacts whether the repair for a chipped tooth needs to be cosmetic, restorative, or both. At Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach, CA, we consider all chipped teeth a dental emergency and implore our patients to contact our office immediately to have their dental care needs addressed.
Reasons Every Chipped Tooth Is a Dental Emergency
Quite often, patients who chip a tooth find the problem more of an inconvenience than anything else. Unfortunately, the last thing you want to do is be casual about this kind of injury. Immediate intervention is necessary and here’s why:
- The depths are unclear: Your dentist is the only person who can tell you whether your chipped tooth is a surface problem or whether the damage goes deeper.
- You could have interior damage: What might look like a minor issue could be caused by an infection or deteriorating dental work.
- Your tooth could be very weak: If you have a chipped tooth, it might be because the tooth enamel was already weak or it may be weakened by the chip.
Common Causes of a Chipped Tooth
The cause of a chipped tooth directly influences the restoration that is used for the repair. Knowing why this problem developed is critical to resolving the current issue and prevent it from happening again. Here are some of the most common reasons people find themselves with a chipped tooth:
- Accident: A car crash, fall, or even a hit to the mouth by an energetic toddler can lead to a chipped tooth. Accidents like these are sometimes preventable, but sometimes they’re not. Should you end up as collateral damage with a problem tooth, see your dentist right away.
- Sporting injury: You don’t have to play a contact sport to get hurt. Anyone can take a ball or stick to the mouth, collide with another player, or fall and get back up with a chipped tooth. Protect your teeth no matter what kind of equipment or field you’re using to play a game. Customized sports guards protect you from damage to your teeth whether you fall or get hit.
- Teeth grinding: If you suffer from chronic teeth grinding and clenching, you’re setting yourself up for a chipped tooth and many more dental problems. Bruxism can be directly addressed with a customized night guard that’s worn while sleeping and immediately stops negative side effects.
- Bad habits: People who bite their nails, open bottles or packages with their teeth, and use their teeth for things other than eating set themselves up for chips, cracks, and other serious dental emergencies.
Best Repairs for a Chipped Tooth
How your dental emergency occurred and the severity of your chipped tooth influence the dental procedures that are recommended for your repairs. Every patient is different but the following cosmetic and restorative dentistry treatments could be viable options:
See Your Manhattan Beach Emergency Dentist for a Chipped Tooth
When you have a dental problem, take it seriously. Contact the dental team at Beachside Smiles right away to find out what’s going on with your oral health and to get the issue taken care of immediately. Call now if you are suffering from a chipped tooth.