Versatile, fast, and non-invasive, cosmetic tooth bonding can act as a cosmetic dentistry or restorative dentistry treatment depending on oral health needs. At Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach, CA, Dr. Don Mungcal and his dental team offer this efficient and lasting repair to patients seeking an affordable fix to beautify their smile.
The Cosmetic Tooth Bonding Process
A simple procedure, cosmetic tooth bonding takes only about 30 minutes per tooth to complete, depending on the circumstances. Also known as dental bonding, the treatment involves the application of a tooth-colored resin that is color matched to enamel so it blends it with your entire smile. Here is how the procedure typically goes:
- Consultation: Before any cosmetic dental changes can proceed, your dentist will review your oral health and examine teeth and gums to see if dental bonding is the right treatment for what you want done.
- Preparation: Once bonding gets the green light, the prep involves roughening the tooth in question then coating it with a conditioning liquid. No anesthesia or other numbing agents are necessary for surface repairs that do not involve drilling.
- Bonding application: The tooth-colored resin is painted over the surface of the tooth in multiple layers until the right size and shape are achieved.
- Sculpting: The cosmetic tooth bonding is sculpted to look like your other teeth and adjusted until it blends into the rest of your smile.
- Curing: A dental laser is used to shine ultraviolet light on the treated tooth and harden the bonding material.
- Completion: The last step is to gently polished the bonded tooth so it gleams and looks and feels like the rest of your teeth.
Many of the corrections that a porcelain crown or porcelain veneer can make can be corrected with dental bonding. Your Manhattan Beach dentist will review your oral health and make a recommendation about how to fix what’s bothering you about your smile based on your comfort level, timeframe, and budget.
Problems Fixed by Dental Bonding
The great beauty of cosmetic tooth bonding is that it covers the unsightliness that is plaguing your teeth and interfering with a beautiful smile. There are many good reasons to get dental bonding instead of another type of dental restoration, but some of the most common problems that can be addressed by bonding include:
Damaged and broken teeth, as well as those with minor tooth decay, can also be treated with bonding if the problem isn’t too large.
Depending on the oral health problems you’re experiencing, your dentist will always recommend the most conservative repairs but also the most effective. Cosmetic tooth bonding is often the result and serves as a robust restoration that lasts with excellent at-home oral health care and professional teeth cleanings and check-ups.
Are You a Good Candidate for Cosmetic Tooth Bonding?
Dental bonding doesn’t work for everyone. Some cosmetic issues and many restorative dentistry issues are much bigger and need more intensive repairs. However, there are so many times when a patient develops a minor problem and it can be fixed right away using cosmetic tooth bonding. Getting this procedure done to treat an annoying dental issue not only eliminates unsightliness, it prevents the development of bigger oral health complications that result in pain and intensive, costly fixes.
If you think you could benefit from tooth bonding, visit your Manhattan Beach cosmetic dentist to discuss the circumstances. You could get a repair in no time, or you may be a candidate for a different repair. Either way, your dental team is prepared to help you achieve a healthy, beautiful smile.