Dental crowns are one of the most versatile smile makeover treatments. They work as both restorative and cosmetic solutions, repairing and beautifying teeth at the same time. If you have a problem tooth, a customized dental crown from Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach can make your teeth not only function better but look great too.
Problems Fixed by Dental Crowns
Durable and long-lasting, dental crowns – sometimes referred to as a cap – are designed to look natural so they blend into the rest of your smile. This solution conceals and protects teeth that are damaged, weak, or unsightly so they no longer stand out among all your teeth.
Your Manhattan Beach dentist may recommend a crown if you find yourself in any of the following circumstances:
- To build up a weak tooth and prevent it from cracks, breaks, or deterioration.
- To protect a cracked, chipped, or fractured tooth from bacteria and food particles.
- To cover a tooth that has undergone root canal therapy.
- To beautify an oddly shaped tooth so it no longer interrupts your smile.
- To cover up a stained or discolored tooth that doesn’t respond to whitening treatments.
- To correct a tooth with a large cavity that cannot handle a tooth-colored filling.
How the Dental Crown Procedure Works
Crowns are a simple but effective solution and they usually take two visits to your Manhattan Beach dentist to complete, unless you are eligible for the same-day CEREC crown procedure. Here’s how it works:
- Preparation: The tooth in question is prepared for repair, which may involve removing decay, reshaping the tooth for the crown to fit, or undergoing root canal therapy.
- Creation: Every dental crown is custom-made in size, shape, and color so it blends in with the rest of your teeth. This restoration is to look like the rest of your smile. Your dentist will take an impression and send these results as well as digital images and any other details to the dental lab so the restoration can be created.
- Waiting: A temporary crown is placed to protect your tooth while you wait for the permanent crown to be returned from the dental lab. This usually takes up to two weeks.
- Bonding: When the crown is ready, it is tested for size and appearance and, once confirmed that all is well, it is bonded permanently to the damaged tooth and tested for comfort and fit.
Types of Dental Crown Materials
Crowns can be made using several types of materials. What is used for your unique restoration will depend on the condition of your tooth, whether you have allergies to certain materials, your budget, and your dentist’s preferred materials.
The most common tooth crown materials include the following:
- All-porcelain crown: Made of porcelain or engineered dental ceramic, the all-porcelain crown is preferred for hits natural look and durability. This type is also great for patients who have metal allergies.
- PFM crown: A porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM) crown has a metal interior and porcelain exterior. This combo makes for an incredibly strong restoration but still looks like a natural tooth.
- Metal crown: All metal crowns are noticeable restorations, like gold teeth. Patients who get this repair usually want their restored tooth to stand out.
- Ceramic zirconia crown: Another metal-free crown, the ceramic zirconia version is super strong, fracture-resistant, and easily blended to match your natural tooth color.
Get a Dental Crown in Manhattan Beach
It doesn’t matter if you’re pursuing a dental crown to improve the appearance of your smile or fix a problem tooth, if your Manhattan Beach dentist determines that you are a good candidate for the procedure, this restoration will give you your whole smile back and your confidence. There is always a way to cover up a fragile tooth, and the bonus is that nearby teeth will reap the benefits of this restoration too, becoming less likely to develop their own complications. Contact us today to discuss any dental problem.