At Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach, CA, our dental team is prepared to help patients replace their missing teeth with the solution that is right for them. Many people find that dentures are the best choice to fill an arch of missing teeth or add teeth to one area of their mouth so that appearance, function, comfort, and confidence are fully restored.
Types of Dentures
There are several types of modern dentures and knowing they have options makes many patients feel better about considering this treatment for their restorative dentistry needs. The most common types include:
- Full dentures: Complete dentures replace an entire arch of missing teeth. Though this option does require adhesives and cover the palate, it is far more comfortable than older versions and looks like natural teeth. Full dentures need to be removed and cleaned daily.
- Partial dentures: If someone is missing only a few teeth in the same area of their mouth, a partial denture is often a great custom solution. A metal framework is held in place by a gum-colored, plastic base, blending into the patient’s smile. This appliance is removable.
- Implant dentures: Some dentists offer implant dentures which combine the best of dental implants with modern dentures while eliminating the unreliability of some denture characteristics. Four implants are placed in the jawbone and a denture is attached to them for a permanent dental restoration that does not cover the palate.
- Temporary dentures: If a patient is waiting for a dental bridge or dental implant, a temporary appliance can be secured in place for a few months until the time is right to install a permanent dental solution.
What Patients Like About Dentures
There are multiple ways to replace missing teeth and your Manhattan Beach dentist will work with you to determine which option is best for your needs. Sometimes, the benefits of a certain procedure are what sway a person in choosing hat solution and, believe it or not, dentures have plenty of good factors that work for many adults, including the following:
- Convenient and quick solution
- Immediate fitting
- Easy to use
- Non-surgical solution
It’s easy to focus on the things about dentures that are unpopular, such as the need to use adhesives, the responsibility to clean the appliance daily, and the reality that sometimes the appliance may become loose while you are speaking or eating.
You and your dentist will review all the options to replace missing teeth, all the pros and cons, and whether this restoration is the right choice for your budget, lifestyle, and comfort level.
How to Take Care of Dentures
Caring for dentures is a relatively easy job. It’s your responsibility to keep the appliance clean so they stay free from stains and odors and continue to fit as designed, but this isn’t a complex operation. Take care of these removable prosthetics with the following steps:
- Clean and brush the appliance daily
- Gently wash the appliance after eating
- Brush the gums every day to prevent infections
- Soak appliances in water when they are not in use
- Soak appliances overnight in a custom solution
Every change to your teeth, your smile, and your oral health requires an adjustment period. Over a few weeks, you will adapt to the feeling and the muscles in your mouth will automatically hold them in place without you having to think too hard about the effort. Soreness and irritation are common at the start but caring properly for this customized appliance will make it easier for the discomfort to fade and they will blend into your life in no time.
Get Dentures in Manhattan Beach
If you are ready to replace missing teeth, schedule a consultation with the dental team at Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach. Find out if this form of restorative dentistry are right for you.