Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation
Gum recession is an uncomfortable and often painful condition that can lead to oral health complications like gum disease and tooth decay. Unfortunately, recession often goes untreated because patients want to avoid the discomfort and healing time of gum grafting. Now, there is a less-invasive and fast-healing alternative available at Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach, CA – pinhole gum rejuvenation. No pain, scalpels, or sutures necessary.
The Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation Process
Pinhole gum rejuvenation is a minimally invasive repair for recessed gums. The development of this innovative procedure has transformed gum recession treatment. Once it has been determined that a patient is a good candidate for gum rejuvenation, the process goes something like this:
- Tiny pinholes are placed in the gum tissue.
- Tissue is loosened using special instruments passed through the pinholes.
- The gum tissue is repositioned over the recessed areas.
- Collagen is inserted into the pinholes to hold the shifted gum tissue in place.
- The pinholes shrink to an undetectable size by the next day.
- Results of pinhole gum rejuvenation are noticeable immediately.
The typical gum graft repair for gum recession is an invasive surgical procedure that cuts gum tissue from the roof of the patient’s mouth or a donor mouth and transplants the gum tissue around the recessed tooth using sutures. Patients are drawn to the pinhole gum rejuvenation process because it eliminates the need for any surgical procedure and avoids a painful healing process. There are no open wounds or stitches and pain, swelling, and recovery time are drastically reduced.
Causes of Gum Recession
Some people are predisposed to gum recession – it’s simply a genetic problem that can’t be avoided. However, there are habits that can negatively impact the gums while certain oral health conditions contribute to gum problems. Here are just some of the causes of gum recession:
- Teeth grinding: Teeth grinding causes a host of oral health problems, including enamel erosion, damaged teeth and dental work, and gum recession. A simple customized night guard, worn every time you sleep, can save gums and teeth from damage.
- Brushing too hard: Aggressive brushers are not necessarily brushing well, they’re just brushing vigorously. This heavy hand can negatively impact the gum tissue and cause it to recede. This habit can be addressed by switching to an electric toothbrush, a soft-bristle toothbrush, or committing to a gentler approach to dental care.
- Misalignment: Teeth that are positioned abnormally can contribute to gum recession. Misaligned teeth automatically place too much force on certain areas of the mouth instead of distributing force evenly over the teeth. Getting Invisalign or other straightening methods can correct your bite and your gums.
Gum recession is an oral health problem that develops gradually. If you are sure to visit your Manhattan Beach dentist every six months as recommended, they will notice changes in your gums and teeth and check for sensitivity and gum recession to make sure any problems are corrected before they have a chance to balloon.
Get Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation in Manhattan Beach
Maybe you’ve heard the saying, “Long in the tooth.” This term could easily be applied to someone who has gum recession. When this problem develops, your teeth look longer than usual. Some patients may develop gum disease because of gum recession, and when this is the case foundation of the mouth must be treated first. But eventually, the pinhole gum rejuvenation technique can give you back the smile you love.
Find out if you can benefit from pinhole gum rejuvenation, a truly innovative treatment that transforms your smile and oral health. Schedule a consultation with the dental team at Beachside Smiles.