Some dental emergencies are obvious, like a dislodged tooth or severe tooth pain. These are signs that scream, “Go see a dentist right now.” When it comes to damage to your cosmetic dentistry, however, things can get a little tricky. You might think the problem is an aesthetic inconvenience but not a threat to your oral health. Is it okay to wait to see your emergency dentist? Should you call them immediately? Here’s the scoop.
Types of Cosmetic Dentistry Emergencies
When something is wrong with your oral health, consider it a dental emergency and always call your Manhattan Beach cosmetic dentist. Better to be cautious and allow your dentist to determine whether the problem is serious and if you need to be seen right away.
Here are just some of the cosmetic dentistry emergencies that can masquerade as small problems before they turn into major problems:
- Chipped veneer: Porcelain veneers are incredibly strong but one wrong move can lead to a crack or chip. This problem may not hurt, but it certainly looks bad and requires quick attention to prevent other complications from developing and to get your smile back to perfect.
- Broken filling: Whether a tooth-colored filling is broken or lost, damage to this restoration is a serious problem. Its original intention was to correct, seal, and protect a tooth – but its absence leaves a tooth open to problems like bacteria and plaque, not to mention unsightliness.
- Lost crown: A porcelain crown is used as a cosmetic solution and dental restoration. Either way, the cap protects and beautifies a problem tooth. If a crown falls off, it needs to be replaced right away to make sure your tooth doesn’t develop problems because bacteria have an easy route inside.
Causes of Cosmetic Dentistry Emergencies
There are many things that can cause a dental emergency involving cosmetic dentistry, including:
- Biting down wrong on a hard food
- Using your teeth to open a package or bottle
- Clenching your teeth
- Taking a hit to the mouth
- Old dental restorations
Go ahead and be vain – reach out to your dentist right away to be seen right away. Whether your dental emergency has created an odd-shaped tooth, a gap, a hole, or other damage, remember that the cosmetic problem is only half the issue – the rest of your oral health can be threatened by the damage too.
Repairs for Cosmetic Dentistry Problems
If you have a problem with a porcelain veneer or porcelain crown, the great news is that you can enjoy the benefits of being the patient of a dentist who uses CEREC technology. Same-day crowns and same-day veneers are possible when your Manhattan Beach dentist can create them on site and repair your tooth right away.
Instead of waiting for a dental lab to recreate a damaged restoration, your dentist will make it again using their in-office equipment so you can be fitted immediately. So many people avoid going to the dentist because they worry about discomfort and how long it might take to correct their problem. A CEREC-equipped dental office eliminates those fears entirely, fixing the issue right away.
No matter what is wrong with your smile, your Manhattan Beach dentist at Beachside Smiles will develop the right solution to make it look flawless again, not to mention function properly again too. Contact us today.