Tooth-colored fillings are used for more than just treating cavities. This versatile dental restoration and cosmetic dentistry treatment is offered at Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach, CA, to address tooth decay, of course, but also a comprehensive list of other dental damage and unsightly teeth. Tooth-colored fillings correct problems and beautify smiles simultaneously.
The Many Problems Tooth-Colored Fillings Can Fix
Fillings, naturally, are associated with cavities, but many people don’t realize just how many dental problems can be corrected quickly and effectively with tooth-colored fillings. Some of the most common issues fixed by tooth-colored fillings include:
- Tooth decay
- Stained tooth
- Chipped tooth
- Discolored tooth
- Gapped teeth
- Tooth deterioration
- Cracked tooth
- Misshapen tooth
In all these circumstances, the composite material used to repair the tooth not only fixes the issue at hand, but it rebuilds the strength of the tooth. The filling stabilizes a problem tooth while also strengthening it, and the repair protects neighboring teeth from developing their own complications.
Types of Tooth-Colored Fillings
There is more than just one kind of tooth-colored filling. Your Manhattan Beach dentist will determine which solution is best for you based on the problem you’re experiencing and make recommendations that you can discuss. What all the restorations have in common, no matter which one is most appropriate, is that it is color-matched to your tooth enamel, so the restoration looks natural and blends in with the rest of your teeth.
- Composite fillings: If you have a small- or medium-sized cavity, this tooth-colored filling preserves as much of your natural tooth as possible.
- Porcelain fillings: Large cavities are often treated with strong, stain-resistant porcelain fillings, especially if the cavity is on the chewing surface of the tooth.
- Inlays and onlays: When a tooth needs more than a filling but less than a dental crown, an onlay gets the job done. This restoration, also known as a partial crown, covers the top of the tooth and at least one cusp. Smaller repairs, known as inlays, cover only the top of the tooth.
Silver fillings are no longer the go-to repair for cavities or minor dental issues. There was a time when they were the norm, but the amalgam in silver fillings is toxic to the mouth and body and emits mercury into your system over time, damaging teeth in the process. Now, many patients who have silver fillings request to have them replaced with tooth-colored fillings to protect their teeth and well-being and beautify their smile.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
There are an incredible number of benefits of tooth-colored fillings, including the following:
- Look like natural teeth so they blend into your smile.
- Bond right to the tooth for maximum support.
- Stabilize the tooth for confident biting and chewing.
- Protect the tooth from cracking.
- Biocompatible and mercury free.
- Seals powerfully to prevent invasion of bacteria.
- Reinforce tooth structure to minimize future complications.
- Long-lasting restoration when you take good care of your teeth.
Decayed or damaged teeth are a reality, and it’s important to know that you have options when it comes to getting a repair. Above all, you want a restoration that will fix your current oral health problem, prevent other complications from developing, and stop related issues in the future. Never hope that your oral health issue will go away on its own – it won’t. But if you have your problem tended to immediately, a tooth-colored filling may be all you need, saving you from more invasive dental care.
Get Tooth-Colored Fillings in Manhattan Beach
At Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach, CA, Dr. Don Mungcal and his team are prepared to help you deal with whatever oral health complication you’re experiencing. Schedule a consultation to find out what’s going on with your teeth and if a tooth-colored filling is the right solution for you.