Anyone who invests in a smile makeover wants to trust that their cosmetic dentistry will last. Porcelain veneers durability is well-known, and this upgrade truly lasts when it is completed by the right people using the finest materials. You can count on the experienced dental team at Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach, CA, to deliver the best of everything for your smile.
Factors That Affect Veneers Durability
Porcelain is often considered a fragile material, the main component of fancy dolls or dinner plates, but when used for veneers, porcelain is anything but delicate. There is nothing weak about a smile that has undergone a veneers smile makeover – it is stronger and tougher in all ways.
Veneers durability is impacted by the following factors:
- Natural teeth: Tooth enamel is one of the hardest substances in the human body. When the small porcelain shields are bonded to natural teeth, they become a powerhouse together.
- Behavior: Veneers are resistant to stains as well as changes in temperature. This doesn’t mean they can’t break, but the chances of it happening are small unless you regularly work to weaken your teeth (by opening packages with your teeth, for example).
- Materials: Veneers are composed of high-quality porcelain, a reliable restoration. Though every porcelain shield is similar to glass, the material is incredibly stable.
Problems Fixed by Porcelain Veneers
It’s easy to assume that whatever is going on with your smile is too complex to be corrected with cosmetic dentistry. But you might be surprised to discover just how powerful veneers can be in restoring not only the appearance of your smile but its strength too.
Thanks to veneers durability, there are a host of cosmetic and functional problems that can be corrected by porcelain veneers, including:
- Stains or discoloration
- Cracked tooth enamel
- Short teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Narrow smile
Whatever you think is unsightly about your smile, there’s a pretty good chance that customized veneers can fix it. These powerful little shields are personalized in color, size, length, width, and shape so they blend in with the rest of your teeth, complement your face shape and skin tone, and deliver a symmetrical, natural-looking smile.
Veneers durability also does more than give you a flawless-looking smile. The porcelain reinforces weak teeth, supports the lips, minimizes fine lines, and helps you look like a younger, healthier, happier version of yourself.
Maintenance of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers are not self-cleaning. They require just as much care as the rest of your teeth. While you don’t have to do anything special to take care of your veneers, tending to them properly can be the difference between veneers that last for years and those that last for decades. Here is what you need to know about smile makeover maintenance:
- Brush twice a day and floss daily.
- Make sure you clean behind the veneers too to reach your natural teeth.
- Visit your dentist twice a year for cleanings and checkups.
- Ask your dentist or hygienist for recommendations about toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, and other oral healthcare supplies.
- Do not bite your nails, open packages with your teeth, or chew on ice.
- Wear a mouth guard when playing sports or a nightguard if you grind your teeth at night.
Get Porcelain Veneers in Manhattan Beach
If you are interested in a smile makeover, schedule a consultation with the dental team at Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach. Learn more about veneers durability and any other cosmetic dentistry procedures that may be right for your smile upgrade.