Dental bridges are a reliable, common, restorative dentistry procedure that effectively replaces missing teeth. Leaving holes in your smile can lead to tissue damage, misalignment, and other oral health complications and deterioration. At Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach, CA, we offer customized dental bridges as an effective, long-lasting tooth replacement.
How Dental Bridges Work
A dental bridge is a permanent, non-removable prosthetic that is used to replace one to two missing teeth in the same area of the mouth. The bridge is clasped onto the teeth on either side of the empty area and anchored in place using porcelain crowns.
A bridge looks and functions like a natural tooth so your smile is once again complete, your confidence is boosted, and you can bite and chew without worry. This restorative dentistry procedure typically takes two dental visits to complete. Here’s what you can expect from start to finish:
- Dental exam: Before any restorations begin, your Manhattan Beach dentist conducts a complete dental exam to review your oral health and determine whether you are a good candidate for a dental bridge. If gum disease or any other infections are found, they must first be treated and healed first.
- Prep: Impressions are taken and sent to the dental lab along with digital x-rays and any other imaging so your personalized bridge and custom crowns can be crafted. The neighboring teeth are cleaned and sanded so the crowns that hold the bridge in place can be bonded snugly. Temporary crowns are put in place while you wait for the bridge to be ready.
- Restoration: The bridge is tested to make sure it fits properly and that the prosthetic tooth or teeth blend in with your natural tooth enamel. The clasps and bridge are cemented in place and the crowns are added to finish the restoration.
Why You Must Replace Missing Teeth
Many people assume that a missing molar is not that big of a deal, that the rest of your teeth can make up for its loss. But every tooth in your mouth has a purpose and when one is absent it compromises the functionality of your teeth. Getting a restoration like a dental bridge is about more than improving the appearance of your smile, it’s about keeping your teeth healthy and strong.
Remember, a missing tooth is not the only thing that’s gone – the root system of that tooth is missing too. Though a dental bridge is an above-the-gumline repair, it keeps your other teeth where they belong and prevents unnatural movement of neighboring teeth.
If you don’t replace missing teeth, you can experience the following problems:
- Tissue damage caused by shifting teeth
- Alignment and bite problems
- Weakened jawbone
- Worn enamel
- Dental instability
- Additional oral health complications
Dental Bridge Cost Factors
When it comes to dental restorations, a dental bridge is an affordable, budget-friendly option for tooth replacement. Cost factors will include the following:
- Number of teeth being replaced
- How many porcelain crowns are needed
- Restoration location
- Materials used
- Other treatments needed at the same time
Every patient’s needs are different, but payment includes multiple options: cash, credit cards, Sunbit Financing, and Care Credit. Fixed low interest rates and discounts for prepayment are also available and, of course, we participate in many dental insurance plans. We do whatever possible to make your dental care affordable and achievable.
Get a Dental Bridge in Manhattan Beach
If you have a missing tooth or teeth, it’s time to schedule a consultation with Dr. Don Mungcal and his team at Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach, CA. Find out whether you’re a good candidate for a dental bridge or other dental restoration.