Gum Disease Treatment In Manhattan Beach
Gum disease is a serious dental infection that is the number one cause of adult tooth loss. Caused by an overgrowth of bacteria in the mouth, this disease will eventually eat away at the bone that supports the teeth, damage the mouth’s soft tissues, and separate the teeth and gums. At Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach, CA, we encourage gum disease prevention and early intervention to prevent the disease from progressing and destroying your oral health.
Common Signs of Gum Disease
Millions of people suffer from gum disease, but some of them don’t know it. If you see your dentist regularly for a checkup, they will immediately recognize early signs of this condition, known as gingivitis. The initial stages are not always easy for the untrained eye to spot – but your dentist knows what to look for.
Should you be beyond gingivitis into a more advanced stage of the disease, symptoms will no longer be subtle. You’re likely to notice any of the following issues:
- Bad breath
- Bleeding gums
- Gum irritation
- Gum recession
- Loose teeth
- Pain while chewing
- Red gums
- Sensitive teeth
- Swollen gums
- Tender gums
Treatment for Gum Disease
If you have not been to see the dentist for some time and know that something is seriously wrong with your oral health because of your discomfort and pain, don’t hesitate to make an appointment. This type of disease will never go away on its own and can only be repaired with a dental intervention. Your dentist is ready to help you get back to a healthy mouth.
Depending on the severity of your condition, you may experience any of the following treatments:
- Deep teeth cleaning: The build-up of bacteria, plaque, and tartar that has collected around the edge of the gum line and teeth is scraped away. This creates a clean slate for the healing process to begin.
- Scaling and root planing: This is a soft tissue management treatment that removes trapped tartar from below the gum line. Bumpy areas are smoothed out too to eliminate any surfaces that have the potential to attract plaque.
- Surgery: The most severe cases of gum disease may require pocket reduction surgery to remove the bacteria from the pockets around the teeth. This procedure also repairs damaged bone.
- Antibiotics: Often, a course of antibiotics is prescribed to support the gum disease treatment, combat further infection, and promote healing. This may be in the form of a topical treatment, mouthwash, or antimicrobial rinse.
How to Prevent Gum Disease
Gum disease is far more likely to occur in older adults and the risk rises as you age, but young people who don’t take good care of their teeth and gums are also susceptible. It is very possible to prevent infection if you do the following:
- Maintain good oral hygiene: Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss at least once a day. It’s that simple. Under five minutes of your time.
- Visit your dentist: Never skip your dental cleanings. It’s integral for the hygienist to get in there every six months and remove the plaque and tartar you can’t reach.
- Be aware of your risks: Do you have diabetes? Are you pregnant? Are gum problems common in your family? If yes, your chances of developing gum disease increase so let your dentist know your history and prioritize your oral health.
- Know your medications: Some medications cause problems like dry mouth that can contribute to gum disease. Tell your dentist what meds you’re taking so they can help you be proactive.
- Stop smoking: Tobacco, whether smoked or chewed or vaped, automatically increases the risk of developing gum infections.
Get Gum Disease Help from Your Manhattan Beach Dentist
Gum disease is a serious problem that does not go away with the help of a dentist. If you suspect you’re suffering from this condition, contact Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach to schedule an appointment and find out what’s really going on with your gums and teeth right away.