Every toothache is a dental emergency. There are many potential causes of this discomfort and having the problem addressed right away is necessary to relieve pain and prevent complications. The dental team at Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach, CA, offers emergency dental care for toothache pain relief so you can feel better and maintain a strong, healthy smile.
Symptoms of a Toothache
A toothache can cause a host of symptoms that, if ignored, could turn into severe oral health problems and prevent you from carrying out your daily activities. It isn’t possible to muscle through tooth pain and wait for it to go away – if it’s a real problem, it’s not going anywhere without professional dental intervention. Some of the most common signs of a toothache include:
- Debilitating pain
- Constant discomfort
- Gum redness
- Swollen gums
- Bad breath
- Difficulty eating
Causes of Toothaches
Once you acknowledge that you have a toothache and make your way to your Manhattan Beach emergency dentist, they will conduct a thorough dental examination and take x-rays to make an accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendation. Some toothaches are visible, other problems lurk below the gumline. Patients need toothache pain relief for the following complications:
- Tooth decay: Every cavity starts small but, without treatment, it grows bigger until the innermost layers of the tooth are reached. That’s when the serious pain begins. Regular visits to your dentist help avoid advanced tooth decay because your dentist will notice this complication at its onset and treat it right away.
- Gum disease: Untreated gum disease will never go away on its own. This infection always begins small but without intervention it will spread and wreak havoc through your mouth. Tooth pain and swollen and tender gums are hallmarks of gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease.
- Tooth infection: Sometimes tooth decay develops into a tooth infection, but this problem can also come from a crack in the tooth, which isn’t always noticeable. Should an abscess form, the painful problem will become visible and dangerous, threatening your oral health and overall wellness should the abscess rupture.
- Impacted wisdom tooth: Wisdom teeth are almost always troublemakers. While most people have these third molars removed in early adulthood, those who do not have them removed are likely to experience partially erupted wisdom teeth that, because of their misaligned positions, cause severe toothaches and damage neighboring teeth.
Emergency Toothache Pain Relief
Your Manhattan Beach dentist will know what to do right away to stop your toothache. Some of the most common solutions for the problems above include:
- Tooth-colored filling: A cavity, depending on its location, can cause a toothache even when it’s small. Your dentist will remove the decay and cover the problem area with tooth-colored composite material for a strong, natural-looking solution.
- Root canal therapy: When a toothache points to a deep tooth infection, root canal therapy is often the recommended treatment to clean out the problem, stop pain in its tracks, and prevent future complications.
- Porcelain crown: Some toothaches can’t be fixed with just a filling or just root canal therapy. The treated tooth needs a bigger restoration like a porcelain crown that covers the treated area and protects the tooth from additional issues.
- Tooth extraction: An extraction is always a dentist’s last resort – the priority is always to save the natural tooth – but sometimes a tooth is so compromised and the pain so great that extraction is necessary to preserve oral health.
Find Toothache Pain Relief in Manhattan Beach
If you have a toothache, don’t wait a moment to get emergency dental care. This pain indicates a serious oral health problem, and your Manhattan Beach dentist at Beachside Smiles can deliver the relief and dental care you need. Contact us today to discuss toothache pain relief.