The right materials, the right dentist, the right smile makeover – when it comes to getting new teeth that last, you want to choose reliability across the board. The porcelain that veneers are made of gives them unparalleled durability. These are gorgeous, new teeth that will last and last – as long as you do your part too.
Factors That Impact Veneers Durability
The word porcelain often brings to mind fragile objects, like dolls or dishware. But there is nothing delicate about porcelain veneers for teeth. These miniature shields are bonded to natural teeth, transforming their appearance and strength. There are very few things that can compromise a smile makeover made of veneers. The following factors play an important role:
- Behavior: Veneers are stain-resistant and immune to temperature changes. They can break, chip, or crack, but it is unlikely this will happen unless the wearer makes a poor choice, like attempting to rip open a package with their teeth or chewing on inedible items (glasses frames, writing instruments, fingernails, etc.)
- Materials: High-quality porcelain is the material of choice for any veneers restoration from your Manhattan Beach dentist. Even though porcelain is much like glass in its composition, the material is extremely stable. You want a dentist who uses the best materials to create your smile makeover.
- Natural teeth: Tooth enamel is the toughest substance in the human body, so it doesn’t really need further reinforcement. Nevertheless, when you bond natural teeth with the small porcelain shields of veneers, the pair become powerful and nearly indestructible.
Porcelain Veneers Maintenance
Even though veneers are stain resistant, that doesn’t mean you don’t have to clean them. This smile upgrade needs just as much care as the rest of your teeth, an effort that will make your investment last for a long time in durability and beauty.
- At-home oral hygiene: Brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day at home. Veneers don’t need any special upkeep but they do require the bare minimum for tending to your oral health. Make sure too that you brush behind the veneers where your natural teeth still live so they are not compromised by plaque or bacteria.
- Professional dental care: Visit your dentist every six months for a dental exam and teeth cleaning. This keeps your teeth healthy and also ensures that your Manhattan Beach dentist will get their eyes on your smile makeover regularly and confirm that it’s in good shape.
- The right supplies: Again, you don’t need anything special to care for your teeth, but your hygienist is always happy to make recommendations about toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, and more. If you play sports or grind your teeth, discuss these circumstances with your dentist so you can be fitted for a mouth guard or nightguard and protect your entire smile.
Are Veneers Right for You?
Veneers durability is a sure thing, as long as you do your best to care for your smile makeover. Find out if you’re a good candidate for this procedure. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Don Mungcal and his dental team at Beachside Smiles in Manhattan Beach, CA.
Share this Article